Pinecones and Roses

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Winter Thoughts.............

 Frost hangs in the air, not snow, not fog but white like fog - frost.  And it's cold.  I felt like I was dressed warm enough
 but by the time I got closer to home all of a sudden I felt cold to the bone.  It's been that way.......well, it seems like forever now.
I know it hasn't been forever but the ice and snow started in October and it's still going strong - -13 tonight as I write this. 

I'm not complaining.  When the summer heat comes the numbing cold will only be a memory - hard to even imagine when I look back in July.  Right now I think it would be so lovely to walk down the road without fear of slipping and falling. 

This evening when I went out to get the paper 6 or 7 whitetail deer ran down the street with their flags waving in the gloom of evening.  I say a prayer for them to survive and find bare patches so they can have some nourishment.  It's warm in the house, I'm thankful that I have a cozy home and food in the pantry and freezer, books to read and pretty things to do in my studio.         Diane 

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Yes,I am ready for milder weather too,but until it comes,I will try to find beauty in the cold and snow.Enjoy the warmth of your home.

Pondside said...

This winter must feel like a particularly long one, even though you're used to hard winters. I'm glad you have all the comforts you list - they must help make it bearable.

purplehaze said...

You look like Nanook of the north in that photo. So cute!!! Does little Rascal have to wear a coat and booties like my doggies do? Love your snow pictures and your story about the deer. How lovely.

Romeo said...

Oh yes!!! I worry about the deer here too but thankfully it's not been as bad as your winter. Out of the ordinary here with some snow and colder than normal temps (it's 27 right now) but at least it hasn't been doing this since October!!! Spring will be here soon!!!!

Hugs and purrs,

"her" and Romeo

Ramblin Rose said...

What a cute picture of you. It isn't my upper that gets cold it's my hinder and legs. Just sit back and look at your seed catalogs and dream of summer and you'll feel warmer already. Love, Patsy

Kit said...

We got 4 more inches of snow this morn! Cold and pretty. Hunkered down and enjoying the Olympics. Have a great weekend. Kit

mudderbear said...

Hi Diane, you look so elegant wearing your winter furs. When it gets cold here, I do all I can to stay in. I'm such a fraidy-cat. Please be extra careful.
love, Rosalie

Name: Amanda said...

The winter is a great time to get all of the things done INSIDE! Then when summer hits . . . it's all outside. I love the coziness of a cold day. xo