Pinecones and Roses

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Bighorns

We met Leonard's daughter Rose, her husband Don and our granddaughter Lili, up on top of the Bighorns today.  By on top I mean that the altitude at the campground is 8,900 feet and it's just a ways from Medicine Mountain which is 9,642 feet.  Leonard did great, I guess because he had his oxygen with him. 
There's still snow banks in the high country.  Since they haven't melted by now they'll be there through next winter. 
 A Stellar's Jay aka Camp Robber paid us a visit.  Very inquisitive.  Since we didn't have the food out yet he moved on.  They sure are pretty birds, aren't they? 
 And a couple deer munched grass and lingered around the outskirts of the campground.  I think they were just curious, Leonard says they probably are glad to see other living beings.
 The wild flowers have just about all faded away, their year is over.
Apparently the Forest Service or Highway Department feels that people don't have enough brains to know if something is worth taking a picture of.  These are new signs along the highway to point them out to us!  It probably won't be too long before all the deer, elk, coyotes, hawks, eagles, and even camp robbers will have to wear little signs like this!!    It was great to be in the mountains but it's over for this year, now hunters will be taking over and then it will give way to winter sports.  Hope you're having a good Labor Day weekend.  Diane

11 comments:

June said...

Looks like somebody spent a beautiful day in the mountains!!! It has me wanting to take to the hills and smell the mountain pines and spruce myself Diane.
That sign is hilarious!
sending hugs...

mudderbear said...

That is such a nice place to be. I want to go out in the mountains. It seems amazing that you get to see deer so close to you and that jay. He really is very handsome indeed. I never get to see anything...sob, not even the little quail have showed up. An ugly bug stopped by for awhile.........sigh.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a day.I am thankful that you and many others,me included,don.t need a sign to see beauty worth taking a picture.My guess is that the people who put up those signs missed a lot of beauty.

Laurie said...

What a fantastic way to spend the day Diane, in the mountains with loved ones. And how convenient to have signs pointing to good places for pictures. (I'm being sarcastic, seems like a waste of money to me!) You've never had a problem finding great photo ops!

polkadotpeticoat said...

It looks like a beautiful, peaceful day!

Anonymous said...

I love the Stellar jays - they are so gentle. Had to giggle at the camera sign - amazing. :)

I was touched by your kind words over at my blog, Diane. Thank you so much.

Big hugs,
Zuzu

Pondside said...

What a slice of heaven!
The Stellars Jay is our provincial bird! I'm sorry that he's such a thief down your way!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wonderful day to spend Labor Day weekend, Diane. So glad you two got to get up there before winter gets there... I hope to see that area someday... I love being in high elevations like that. Bet it was cool too!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sounds like a wonderful outing. Nothing better than being in the great outdoors. That Stellar Jay is a beauty! Why oh why does everyone find it necessary to put signs and billboards up all over this world? I just don't get it! Best wishes to you and yours, Tammy

Jill said...

You certainly have the gift of blogging Diane. You always put so much thought into your posts aong with photos. Always a delight to read:)

Name: Amanda said...

Fun pics! xobean