Pinecones and Roses

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Old Roses

 Don't you just love the old roses.  For years I tried to grow the English roses but we're the wrong zone here.  I love the tea roses, too, they're so gorgeous.  But there's something about the old roses, the roses we remember from our Grandma's house or growing in the alleys and at the edge of the yard.
I have some more coming on - my Apothecary Rose survived the winter YAY!  It's probably too much to hope that it will produce a bloom.  At least it lived - I shouldn't have worried.  After all they go back to the 1300's!                                Diane

6 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

If I didn't know better,I would say you had been to the garden of y childhood to take these pictures.The yellow one was my Dad's favourite and since today would have been his birthday,Mom would have picked a few roses for his place setting at the breakfast table.Those are wonderful memories,and all because you pictured your old roses.Thank-you.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Beautiful blooms! My uncle brought my aunt yellow roses -- he's been gone now for nearly 6 years but yellow roses take her back to happier times. Have a beautiful day. Tammy

polkadotpeticoat said...

I love them too....I remember this one house we lived at growing up and they had a old brick circle garden and it was filled with rose plants...so beautiful and the smell!

Pondside said...

Your roses are beautiful. Ours are starting to bloom too - the scent is intoxicating.

Jayne said...

They are very lovely Diane. :c)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I transplanted wild roses to my little foundation garden around the cottage last year, and this year there are three buds. :) I would also love to try growing morden blush roses here.

Wishing you a lovely one, Diane!
~ Zuzu