Pinecones and Roses

Friday, January 7, 2011

Our House

 Thought you might like to see where I live. The picture above was taken this year at Christmas.

Our little house was built in 1900 and we bought it in 1987.   
This picture was taken in 1990 - already we had
done a lot of replacing light fixtures, taken out an old floor furnace, 
to find hardwood floors underneath the old carpeting.   
It looks kind of forlorn here but in the 24 years we've lived here, much has changed.  If fact, I don't
think anything is the same.
 In the left of the picture where the snow fence was put up to temporarily hold our dog, we've now
built our trellised sanctuary.  It's been repainted at least twice.
 There's a fence around the yard and it's full of
flowers, vegetation and weeds.  Leonard rebuilt the front porch, and I took the indoor-outdoor
carpeting off and sanded and painted the flooring a soft pine green.
Inside, she's really a lady.  The long windows have very old woodwork
and there are glass transoms and some pretty details.
All the doorknobs are glass.
I've never seen eaves like this house.  They look almost oriental, if you enlarge it you can see
the beautiful curve. 
The little Colorado Blue Spruce in the foreground has a twin on the other
side of the front and they now dwarf the house. 
It's a little house but I love it.  Everything we've done to it over the years
has only made it more special to me. 
Diane

11 comments:

Kit said...

Oh, I really love your house. Such a classic and it just spills charm. Do you have a pict of it now from the same angle as the first one? I have a small house too and just love it. Kit

Angela said...

I love it!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love your home, Diane, and knowing you, it is wonderful on the inside....With all of your creativity, I'm sure every inch is special. Why don't you take a picture of the outside now --and show it -as comparison with the 1990 one.

I LOVE old houses. They are built so much better than the newer ones. Glad you uncovered those hardwood floors... AWESOME. Glass doorknobs, huh? How special!!!!!

Love your door and that beautiful window. The lights and greenery around the door is gorgeous.

Hugs,
Betsy

Laurie said...

What a charming little house Diane, it has so much character. Please take one of it now, would love to see what you've done!

Jayne said...

Wow... 1900... I can imagine there are many lovely details that make it even more special and charming. It is certainly a home that looks and sounds very loved.

Jill said...

I love old houses Diane. They have so much charm and character.I always think that old homes have more warmth to them.
My saying is "A home is what you make it".You and Leonard have done just that....made something warm and inviting.

Pondside said...

You're so lucky to have a 111 year old house! It's the kind of house that would make me stop and sigh at the curb.

Heidi said...

Oh Momma you are living in my dream home that is the cutest house ever!!! the roof is tops and the trim around your windows and the front stoop.....I'm in love!!!!

Name: Amanda said...

I didn't know it was built in 1900! I wonder what stories it has to tell. I know the beautiful stories that I've experienced in your little sanctuary. What a sweet post. xobean

mudderbear said...

I love your house, both before and after. The old one brings up so many childhood memories, reminding me of lots of old houses. And your 'new' one is so pretty and inspiring. Houses do take a lot of care and fixing. That's why we sold ours last summer. In our apartment we just hollar for maintenance.....it works well for us.

The French Bear said...

Love your house, it reminds me of ours.... it is small at times but I love the cosiness of it and we have made many changes also.
Hugs,
Mags
xx