Pinecones and Roses

Saturday, August 7, 2010

We Made it to the Top

Point of the arrow
Tail of arrow.  If you look closely you can see parts of the shaft
On June 6 I told you about getting to a place I had wanted to go for many years.  At that time we only got to see part of it, the closest part. This fence encloses an arrow pointing to a medicine wheel.  It you look over the center fence post in the first picture you'll see the wheel over on another outcropping.  We had to leave on that day because the weather moved in and it's very difficult to get up on that high hill.  Today we went back to see the wheel.  The driving was impossible on the jagged volcanic type rock.  So we parked the vehicle and walked over there. 
Here's the wheel.  It's a little hard to make out but if you look close you can see the circle and the spokes. 
And here's where we walked from, Leonard pulling along his oxygen tank, me stumbling over the rocks, at the top of the knoll you can see the arrow, the shiny thing is his RAV.  I was so proud of him, considering the fact that when I checked out the topography on google the altitude is anywhere from 8,200 to 8,400 feet in that area.
Shrouded in mystery, it's unknown just who the ancient people were who built these artifacts or exactly why, I suppose worship.  It was harder still to find out how to get there and it took me many years to find out the mysterious directions. 

I'm glad we made it.  It's a good thing.  And Rascal did just great!   Diane

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow,what an adventure. You have great determination.I am glad you made it and have the pictures to prove it.
Blessings,Ruth

Laurie said...

Just amazing Diane, I have a book on the medicine wheel that I got from my brother. To see this in person is a special treat. Beautiful pictures, and I'm so proud of you and Len for making it up there, what a hike!

Jane said...

Wonderful pictures - breathtaking views!

Jane

Jayne said...

How fascinating Diane! What is it called?

Heidi said...

Wow you guys went quite a ways, thats so mysterious isn't it.
Love your rolling hills.
Last night sitting on his rump was my little friend I tried to get his picture but they came out dark.
Like a little content child...He's so darn cute.

Pondside said...

You live in a wild and wonderful place, Diane. I can just picture the two of you, determined to get up there, against all odds. Thanks for taking us along.

Name: Amanda said...

I'm glad you made it! It looks like a beautiful day to do that! Happy Anniversary - I love you both. Bean