Pinecones and Roses

Friday, August 27, 2010

The Bower Bird

Since seeing a documentary on these birds I just have to rate them as my very favorite.  I realize there are many, many wonderful birds in the world and I love them all, but wait till you hear about these birds. 
The male builds a little bower or doorway to invite a lady bird into his specially decorated space.  Different bower birds decorate differently and it depends what's available or their fondness for different colors.  This one seems to be blue.  Some decorate with pretty leaves and mosses, some with beautiful skeletons of leaves, some with shell casings if they happen to be near a military base.  They spend a lot of time tweaking the enticing decor just so.  They go to a lot of trouble to delight the female......I like that!  I don't know what the females do while this is going on, just sit back, have tea and wait to see who's the best decorator I guess!  Diane

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Now THAT'S my kind of man! How great is that! I'd go for this guy, since that blue is my favorite color!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post. I've never heard of Bower Birds, Diane. What a neat 'ritual'.... I'd like to be a lady Bower myself..... ha

Love how this one decorated his 'doorway'... Neat!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

SweetAnnee said...

Awesome!!!
I love them.
I have seen a show they
were on.

Debbie Taillieu said...

The first time I had ever heard of a Bower Bird was while I was in Australia in May 2009. Mr. Bower had built his "Bower" right in the middle of the garden path of a co-hikers backyard. I did post a story and a picture on my blog if you'd like to take a look. http://creativetraveling.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-first-day-in-australia.html

Love looking around you blog!
Have a fabulous day!