Pinecones and Roses

Monday, February 8, 2010

Population Explosion?

Thanks toRuth for identifying the Eurasian Collared Dove. We have had 3 or 4 of them in our neighborhood for some time. They really are beautiful, two of them sitting in a tree cuddled up next to each other. Yesterday when I was walking there were 12 - 15 of them! I don't know if they were some passing through or what was going on.

My love of the creatures isn't always shared by some of the other neighbors. One of my neighbors who I was talking with had nothing but disgust for them because they're "transplants" and they multiply so fast. (He doesn't like the rabbits, or the deer so I find him very hard to talk with)
I figure we all share this earth and we're the intruders.

4 comments:

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Oh, I like your birds'! I have always had a soft spot for doves, their soft cooing calms me some how and I love to hear it. We often have groups of birds that land in our yard for weeks on end, seem to multiply day by day, and then suddenly they are gone. Off for greener pastures, or what? I do so enjoy them while they are here tho. Anyone who can not enjoy god gentle creatures, like your neighbor, must be a very discontented person in some way! Enjoy your little feathered visitors while they are there. ~~ Debby

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Enjoy the Eurasian-collared Dove,I think they are sweet.I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion,but those who don't see the beauty of God's creation are missing out.
Blessings,Ruth

The French Bear said...

I can't image anyone not liking those beautiful doves, look at how graceful they are. They are so smart and interesting to watch, how lovely for you to be able to look out and see God's creatures!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love seeing the Doves. We have Mourning Doves here--and they are so pretty.

We have a couple of critters which we don't care for because they dig up our spring bulbs.. BUT--they are here and we are here ---so that's just IT... As the old saying goes, "Why can't we all just get along!"

Hugs,
Betsy