Pinecones and Roses

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Shawn's Contribution


In our family we all know to NEVER remove a nest from a tree or where it is built. However many are found on the ground, discarded, blown there by the wind or just poorly constructed.

My dad died in February 1990. He loved the mountains and I decided I wanted to make him a wreath for his funeral and grave out of pine boughs, so my husband, brother and I took what children wanted to go and headed for the mountains. We gathered pine boughs, sagebrush, all kinds of dried weeds for the wreath. All of the children scavenged around looking for something special for their Grandpa's wreath. My nephew, Shawn, was around 8 at the time and he appeared carrying his offering for the wreath, a beautiful birds nest. It was just the finishing touch and it was just all so right. God bless you, Diane

4 comments:

Jayne said...

What a sweet, sweet story Diane. Indeed, the perfect finishing touch.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh what a cute story, Diane. I'm sure your Daddy was smiling donw on all of you.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That is so precious.No store bought wreath would ever compare with the love that went into this one.Thanks for sharing your special memory with us.
Blessings,Ruth

The Painted Nest said...

Hi Diane, I'm so glad you visited me today. I was going to follow you, but you don't have a following list. I do want you to know I read all my comments and try to answer them all. Yes, you are right about the spoons~~they are teaspoons. I just love them! My mother psat 10 years ago, I still miss her deeply. You never really get over the loss. But it helps to remember the good times. Do come to visit as often as you like. Blessings, Deborah