Pinecones and Roses

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cookbooks and Cooking


What do your cookbooks say about you and your cooking? I don't think mine say what I cook as much as how I wish I cooked or how I should cook.

Too Many Tomatoes......right! I think I had about 6 in my garden last year. The Hershey Cookbook is a well used one as you might expect. The Joy of Cooking is the one I use when I use a recipe. The one with the paper cover is where I put savers, the vegetarian cookbooks only say I wish I could be a vegetarian but I can't. Oh, and then there's the wild food cookbook, it was given to me by a friend. We don't even have pawpaws here, the closest thing we have is dandelions and cattails. The one with the cloth cover is my precious family recipes, my sister's hot chocolate, my grandma's applesauce cake, my mom's pickles, I don't usually cook them but they're treasures. Then there's the basket with little cookbooks, another Hershey one (you never know when something might happen to the other), the muffin book with gigantic muffins, another honey book and Gems from Mammy's Southern Kitchen written in 1919. This book I got from Leonard's mom, another keepsake. I'd like to know about your cookbooks. The way I cook? Well, we had hot dogs for supper. God bless you, Diane

8 comments:

Karin said...

Came by your place past Ruth's blog! Enjoyed the post about your cook books. I've got a shelf of cookbooks too and yet we somehow have our favorite recipes that we always repeat and do from memory! We're not that adventurous in eating. Even when we go out hubby orders the same dishes every time, lol.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I have alot of cookbooks --but George has as many or more. He LOVES to cook. He will cook our entree --and I'll supplement with veggies and salads. Works well.

My two favorite cookbooks are the Joy of Cooking that I got when I first got married... AND--the other one is a cookbook made by my home church, that has alot of my mother's recipes in it. VERY special!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Laurie said...

Too cute Diane, thanks for the bedtime chuckle! I have the same thing with cook books. If I made a recipe every day from them for the rest of my life, I would have to live to 200! My dinner? Ummmmm...

Jayne said...

My cookbooks are all in a small pantry in... the laundry room...lololol! OK, well, Rachel Ray is in the kitchen. That's about it. :c)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Diane,this post made me smile,not because I think you are funny,but because I could have signed my name to this post.
So many cookbooks,and yes,we like hotdogs or even brown bread and peanut butter.Cookbooks are like novels,I read them,look at the recipies and put on the hotdogs.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

My cookbook would tell you I love to cook olde grange hall recipes more than the new wave sprouts and tofu cooking! And my hubs is so grateful for that!!

I have of course my typical betty crocker and good housekeeping cook book that my children bought for me and I cherish.

I love to cook when my body doesn't fight me. I love homemade far better than anything you can buy out of the home.

My cookbook I hope say, She loves her family enough to take the time to show it in food.

Leedra said...

I have all kinds of cook books. Don't even remember when I last cooked a real dinner....oh, yeah, last Christmas! Oh, I forgot, it was Easter. My children even prefer breakfast at my house, because they know for sure they will get my biscuits. Otherwise they hope and then whine when I don't make them.

Hubby and I work 2 different shifts and live in 2 different towns during the week. I think when we retire I will need a refresher course on the stove. :)

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

The French Bear said...

I love to cook and to bake, it's what makes me feel good. I also just like to read cookbooks, like they are novels or something. Maybe I am weird or something!!! I enjoy stories about women and men who spend time in the kitchen....
It's the heart of the home!! I love your collection!!
Margaret B