Pinecones and Roses

Monday, January 5, 2009

First Flight

Reading Betsy's blog today made me think of one magical morning several years ago. We had a couple nests of house finches in our pine trees outside our windows. You could hear their little tinkling bell voices every time a parent bird approached with more dinner. I was getting ready for work when I heard a commotion in the tree, a lot of peeping and excitement. I looked out to see one of those little tiny, tiny birds sidestepping back and forth on the pine branch. I was so afraid he'd fall but I watched anyway. All of a sudden a whole flock of house finches buzzed by him and in his excitement he wobble-flew off with them. Then the next fledgling, same thing, etc. until they were all gone. A flock of house finches had materialized for the first flight of the babies. Needless to say I'd lost all track of time and was late for work but when I told my boss (a minister) why I was late he had to agree that was a pretty good reason.

3 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Watching that first magical flight of a bird is definitly worth being late for work.I get goose bumps whenever I have a chance to watch this.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Diane, that's one thing I missed when my Bluebirds left the nest. I wanted to see them fly for the first time--but missed them EVERY single time... You are so lucky to get to see them fly for the very first time. Wow!
Hugs,
Betsy

Jayne said...

There's just nothing like watching a nest of babies fledge, is there? Just as if you are watching a miracle of nature. :c)